Friday, April 24, 2015

Peep Show

I'm obsessed with sugar.  Ever since I was a kid, I have had a special place in my heart for anything sweet.  I'm not talking about a passing fancy, like standing in the grocery line and grabbing a candy bar.  Not a once a month craving for chocolate.  Not raiding the kids Easter basket for the black jelly beans (which is what my mom used to do).  No, I'm not talking about a casual relationship with candy.  I'm talking a long term, jealousy inducing, passionate love affair with anything that may constitute an area on the Candyland game board. 

And of course, I have my favorites.  Depending on the time of year and my mood.  Fruity, sour, chocolate, peanut butter, pretty much anything goes.  (Except for coconut.  Ew.)    But around this time of year, I have a craving for a special treat.  A sugary gem that causes controversy and intense opinions.  Unnaturally colored, overly sweet, and used in many inventive, (and strange) ways.  Of course, I'm talking about Peeps.


A passel of Peeps
I'm sure almost everyone on the planet has heard of Peeps.  But how many peeps (hehe) realize the versatility of these little delights?  Peeps can be used on cakes, to make awesome s'mores, and even used in pop art sculptures. (Yes, I did that.)  But this time, I took an idea from Pinterest to try something different.

Now, if you don't know about Pinterest, go check it out.  In fact, check it out right now!  Go, I will wait. 

Are you back?  Good.  Did you start following me at www.pinterest.com/sthipster?  No?  Go and do that, I can wait again.

Our fondue display
Okay, now that we have all that finished, let's get back to the Peepsapalozza.  Pinterest is an awesome, addictive, social media forum that spawns a million projects.  Pretty much anything you can dream of is a pin on Pinterest.  I have used it as inspiration for craft projects, gifts, recipes, DIY's, and home décor.  Not to mention it sets my nerdy heart on fire.  But this project is one of the more colorful pins I've seen.  The original pin is from www.hoosierhomemade.com.  In it, she takes the plain, old, ordinary Peep (haha) and makes it even more special.

Fondue is a 1970's throwback where food is cooked or dipped in oil, cheese, or chocolate.  Remember earlier when I mentioned how Peeps make an excellent s'more?  Well, they make a pretty awesome and fun fondue, as well.  We used chocolate, of course.  (Not that I wouldn't try it with cheese, like maybe a nice brie, because, why not?)  Crazy, you say?  Not in my vocabulary.

Chocolate-y death awaits.
My family is used to my crazy ideas.  They are pretty comfortable with all my flights of fancy and random acts.  So when I told them the plan for dessert on Easter, no one batted an eye.  I started it out with the chocolate for dipping.  I used a combination of milk chocolate and semi sweet chocolate chips to create the sauce.  I just threw both packages in my crockpot and let them melt all through dinner.  If your chocolate gets a little thick, you can always add a bit of heavy cream to thin it out.  Melting chocolate in the crockpot is the easiest way to get a nice chocolate sauce. 
Oh, No!
Once the chocolate was ready, it was dipping time.  I used Peeps chicks and Peeps bunnies for this experiment.  The chicks are my preferred shape, because I'm a traditionalist, but the bunnies actually worked better at picking up the chocolate and other toppings.  And boy, were there others. 

When I do something, I go hard or go home.  In this case, I decided to add to the diabetes risk and coat the chocolate covered Peeps with more candy.  I used Nerds, M & M's, sprinkles, and colored sugar in spring colors.  I also cut up strawberries, apples, and pound cake for those that didn't necessarily need their sugar with a side of sugar.

Peeps and Nerds in love.
Then it was a free for all.  We put the Peeps on bamboo skewers to make the dipping easier.  And then we made a mess.  Chocolate and candies everywhere, Peeps being exposed to all sorts of sugary degradation.  It was fun, it was ridiculous, and it was awesome.  We were laughing and joking and having a great time.  And really, isn't that what holidays are for?

The finished product.
There's a reason I love sugar in all forms.  Candy, cakes, and other sugary treats are happy food.  I mean, who can look at a Peep, with it's bright glittery outside, and not smile?  Candy has always associated with fun times in my book.  And they are meant to be shared.  All happy things.  So, the next time you are looking at a display of Peeps, whether you like them, or not, think about silly, happy, laughing, smiling, and other feel good stuff.  It will change your perspective, I promise. 


Join the Peeps fan club at http://www.marshmallowpeeps.com/.  Check out their recipes and all the other cool things that peeps (hehe) are doing with these fantastic little candies.

And as always, stay hip, my friends!






No comments:

Post a Comment